Thursday, June 22, 2006

500 gigahertz? lara croft's boobs for a major rendering upgrade!?

From Popular Mechanics

Yes. The chip above, from IBM, contains 500 GHz of raw CPU power. I want that thing in my pants. And then in my computer; what a sexy piece of technology.

More:
  • 500 GHz - 500 000 000 000 cycles per second; this thing is over 150 times the speed of your computer, averaging just over 1 000 000 fps in Doom 3 when running SLI. (I might have made that up)
  • To run at these speeds, the chip has to be cooled to 4.5 Kelvins. Bummer? Not really; the chip still runs at 350 GHz when at room temperature. I can live with that... I guess.
  • Chip can theoretically support 1 THz (terahertz), or 100 GHz, even at room temperature. Dude.

Here's a movie for those of you who like those moving pictures.
(You will be directed away from the site)

1 comment:

dino said...

Yeah, I heard about this. It's pretty sweet.